7-zip is primarily used to compress large files and send them electronically. When password protection is used, it also is an easy way to send encrypted file attachments. Best practice is to create a folder on your desktop that will hold these files so that you can easily access and delete them when they are no longer needed. Below is a tutorial providing you with instructions to:
- Install 7-zip on your computer
STEP 1: Install 7-zip
If you have access to Egnyte: Check Egnyte> Best Practice> Resolution IT Applications> 7-zip
If you don’t see the installation file on Egnyte, or do not have access to Egnyte, click this link: http://www.7-zip.org/ (does not matter which browser you open it with)
STEP 1: After clicking the link above, determine if your computer is 32 bit or 64 bit
· Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
· If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
· If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.
The edition of Windows XP you're running is displayed under System near the top of the window.
Computers running Windows Vista or Windows 7
· Click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
· If "64-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
· If "32-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
The edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7 you're running is displayed under Windows edition near the top of the window.
STEP 2: You will notice two links on the first page. Depending on your system’s operating system, that you just discovered in Step 1, Download either 32-bit x86 or 64-bit x64. See below for a screen shot:
STEP 3: Click Run
2. TIP: You may encounter an error, if your firewall blocks the installation. This program is safe to download, just continue and hit Run.
This concludes the installation process. When you open your Programs you should see 7-Zip that will let you know the application successfully downloaded.
STEP 3: After the installation completes, see instructions to encrypt a file